Joe Hart is a transfer target for Torino after he was once again on Manchester City’s bench at the weekend, the Serie A side’s director of sport has confirmed.
Hart, 29, has been told he can leave the Etihad Stadium this summer by new coach Pep Guardiola and has made just one appearance so far this season.
Torino are keen on the England international with new coach Sinisa Mihajlovic unconvinced by any of the goalkeepers currently on their books. Mihajlovic’s assistant coach Attilio Lombardo, who was Roberto Mancini’s assistant at City, is reported to be behind Torino’s approach for Hart.
“We’re working on it, but if it isn’t going to be Hart then we will keep on working for somebody else, even if there are only a few days to go until the market closes,” Gianluca Patrachi told Sky Sport Italia.
City signed Claudio Bravo from Barcelona last week and Willy Caballero has started all of the club’s Premier League games so far under Guardiola, most recently Sunday’s 3-1 home win over West Ham United.
Hart was given what appeared to be a send-off by the City fans at the end of their 1-0 win over Steaua Bucharest in the second leg of their Champions League playoff, with City having won the first leg 5-0.
His chances of joining another Premier League club appeared to diminish last week when Everton manager Ronald Koeman insisted he had “no interest” in a deal.
But Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet is relaxed about the prospect of Hart joining him at Anfield. He told Sky Sports: “I think speculation is part of being at a big club like Liverpool. I think every day another player gets linked and that’s not going to change, so I’m used to that.
Hart has been City’s first-choice goalkeeper throughout the most successful period in the club’s history with two Premier League titles, two League Cup triumphs and one FA Cup victory.
Ben Gladwell reports on Serie A, the Italian national team and the Bundesliga for ESPN FC, UEFA and the Press Association. @UEFAcomBenG.